If covid-19 has taught us nothing, it has taught us that it is important to nourish our mind, body, and soul. What is the best way to do that? Through food of course! And more and more people are discovering that they can find that nourishment by cooking at home!
The Benefits of Cooking at Home
There are so many benefits to taking the time to slow down and eat at home. Not only do you save money and create less waste, but you can foster a sense of creativity and togetherness for your family. Plus, making food from scratch is infinitely healthier, so even if your snacking has increased, you just might find that your body size remains the same. Shall we break that down?
When you take the time to cook at home—and we all have a little more time on our hands thanks to the corona virus—several things happen;
- You have to shop more strategically taking meal planning into consideration – this makes for less food waste, less stress around what to have for dinner, and less money spent overall on groceries
- You spend less money overall – take-out might be convenient, but it’s harder on the budget
- Creativity increases – trying different recipes, ingredients, or styles of cooking can spark inspiration and an increase in wellbeing as successes increase in the kitchen
- Family bonding occurs – sitting down to a meal together creates a built-in time for family bonding, as does the actual act of creating that meal together. Try it with your family and see!
- Overall health improves – when you cook from scratch, typically you use healthier ingredients that are better for your overall physical health
We are not saying that you can never eat out again, but there is something to be said for embracing cooking in your own space that just builds a sense of pride, accomplishment, and nourishment. Start with simple ingredients and see where they take you.
What’s for dinner tonight at your house?